Sunday 27 May 2012

Saskatchewan Champagne

@bhopps83 #BeerRun @run_beer

Here's a thought for a particularly rainy, Sunday afternoon.

Why is Molson's Pilsner so popular in Saskatchewan?

It's a question I've wrestled with for some time, and I'm not entirely sure there is a concrete answer. Here's what I know from scrounging Wikipedia, and the Pils website. "Old Style Pilsner" has never been brewed in Saskatchewan. The closest it's come to this province is in its origins in Lethbridge, Alberta. In Fact, the brand has more history in Ontario, where it was launched in 1992 by Molson, and failed shortly thereafter. There's even a Manitoba connection where the beer's founder, Fritz Sick, purchased a Manitoba brewery and created "Frontier" beer in the 1930's.

Pilsner is however, a major sponsor of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, another institution in green packaging. The two brands go hand in hand, of that I'm certain. Whenever the "Green and White" are out and about, an empty box of Pils is usually resting on someone's head (that or a hollowed-out watermelon).

is that all it is? Put a sponsorship on Saskatchewan's team, and hang on for the ride? the Old Style is one of the few beers brewed by the big boys (although it was bought out) that I enjoy, so it's not like I dislike the idea of it being so popular. What I'm curious about is why... It's one of those things that the people of this province have attached themselves to, and the only reason I can think of as to why, is because someone, somewhere in the Molson Hierarchy decided to put some coin behind The Riders. Pils isn't local by any means, so I find it curious that an entire province would back it, above all other brands. It's kind of funny actually, in other provinces, the cashier behind the counter at the off-sale has to think if they even carry the stuff. Not around here!

In any case, I'm not trying to mess with your "Green Diesel."

No comments:

Post a Comment